Thurman-Hutchins Park – Structures
Adjacent to historic River Road, the design concept for the 75-acre public park maintained a natural passive landscape view from the road. Areas of preserved wetlands and rustic natural woodlands near the linear center of the park form a vertical backdrop and serve to partition the more developed active functions behind it from that passive view.
The passive foreground includes a new walking path, pond, fishing pier, savannah meadow and mown lawn; while preserving the mature grove of trees along the road. Sited behind the enhanced natural woodland screen are a children’s playground, picnic pavilion, concessions building, restrooms, and an array of soccer fields, baseball fields, and trails. The architecture conjures up the impression of a 1920’s river camp style.